Followers

Monday, July 9, 2012

There are some really nice people in Orange

While I have lived in the town of Orange for 23 years riding a bicycle in town has given me a new perspective on people.
There really are some considerate, caring folks who live in town.
Take this mornings ride for example - I was off my bike at Robert Treat and Ridge roads. It is one of those places I seem to always stop at to catch my breath and drink some water.
A woman in a mini van stopped to see if I was alright. It made my morning.
This wasn't the first time I have encountered caring people on this journey to a better me.
When I was learning the basics of staying upright on the bicycle I took a tumble and fell in the High Plains Community Center parking lot. A number of people rushed over to offer assistance. I was so embarrassed by the fall I told them it was a practice fall although my shoulder was killing me.
More recently, a couple of weeks ago I took another fall right in front of Town Hall. A motorist who happened to be passing by stopped to see if everything was alright.
There are of course those who don't even see you on a bicycle. It seems they are driving along in their own little world and the damn bicycle is in their way. Or they are talking on their cell phone or texting while driving.
In any event a cyclists has to have eyes in the back of their helmets sometimes.
It is a hard feeling to get used to.
Anyway there are some really caring people in town and I thank them - you - for making the time to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment